I’m never shy about mentioning my love of Cajun and Southern food; as you’ve probably gathered from my previous recipe posts. It’s almost all I ever cook when I’m actually “cooking.” Tonight I tried my hand at Cajun Chicken Pasta.
There are about 50 million different versions of this dish. The type of pasta can vary from each recipe. I’ve seen it with angel hair, linguine, fettuccine, bow tie, and penne. The sauces and spices can also vary from recipe to recipe. I’ve even had it with a few cut up tomatoes and other vegetables thrown in. I never care how or what it’s made with because it’s always to die for, especially if you’re lucky enough to sample it in New Orleans. I wanted to make my version my own. So I took all my favorite ingredients from every way it’s ever been served to me and concocted them into the most perfect version of Cajun Chicken Pasta for me.
I chose penne pasta because I genuinely hate noodles. They’re sloppy and messy, and I’m not ladylike enough to eat them in a polite manner. I avoid noodles like the plague and stick with compact little pastas like bow tie or penne. There’s less mess and I’m not slopping sauce all over my face like I would be with angel hair or linguine.
- 1 pound of chicken- cut into strips (you can buy packaged pre-cut unbreaded strips)
- I TSP of Olive oil
- Cajun spice (To taste. I never measure this. I just sprinkle it in til I’m happy.)
- 1 box of penne pasta
- 1 jar of alfredo sauce
- 2 TBSP of Louisiana Hot Sauce (or more, depending on how hot you like your food)
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil, then add the pasta
- While the pasta is cooking, coat a skillet in olive oil and saute the chicken strips
- While the chicken is cooking, sprinkle in as much Cajun spice as you’d like
- Remove the pasta from heat and drain when it’s fully cooked
- Remove the chicken from heat when it’s fully cooked inside and lightly browned on the outside
- Toss the chicken and pasta together in a bowl
- In a smaller bowl pour in the alfredo sauce then mix in the hot sauce, stir together well
- Pour sauce mixture into the chicken and pasta bowl, mix well so that all the pasta and chicken is coated nicely
- Enjoy while still warm